Sunday, March 25, 2012


We have been dealing with an upper respiratory issue with Carson for several weeks now. We have been back and forth to dr's offices trying to figure out what is going on. He has a lot of drainage and has recently started wheezing. He was diagnosed with bronchilitis a couple of weeks ago (as you may know from earlier blog posts) but has always been sent home.
Yesterday I took him in to the dr's office because he sounded like he was wheezing quite a bit more than usual. The dr checked his pulse oxygen level and it was 92. She gave him 3 breathing treatments and his pulse ox stayed at 92. She said it was like she hadn't done anything. She stared at me with a look on her face that I had seen once before...when LG was 4 months and 2 weeks old she was having the same issues and we were transported from that same dr's office by ambulance to LeBonheur Children's Hospital for an overnight stay. She was eventually diagnosed with bronchilitis and underwent several deep nasal suctionings to get all that pesky snot out. Carson is 4 months and 1 week old and that's exactly what happened again. We were transported by ambulance yesterday and admitted to Lebonheur for the night. They did a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia and other respiratory problems. But like LG, he has been diagnosed with bronchilitis and has received the same suctioning to clean all that junk out of his nose and throat. The problem is babies can't blow and cough that stuff up so it settles in their chests and causes breathing problems. Today his oxygen level has remained around 99-100 so we are being discharged.
The pictures below chronical our journey yesterday and today. This was Carson at the dr's office getting his first breathing treatment. He fought it so hard at first that he passed out in my lap.
My friend, Alisha was kind enough to come get LG from the dr's office after we had been there for two hours so she could take her to get donuts and just to get her out of the office. LG was being so helpful and good but she was getting bored and that can spell disaster for a 3 year old. Thank goodness she came and got her before we had to ride in the ambulance.
Alisha wanted to hold the big baby before she left. The smile on his face was indicative of his attitude all day~happy except when he was getting his breathing treatment or nose sucked. Everyone has commented on how he doesn't seem to notice that he's sick.
This picture was taken in the ER in his cute little hospital gown. He fell asleep with his paci hanging out of his mouth~long, rough day for my little Laaa.
We finally got moved to a room after around 6 hours in the ER. This was Carson's "jail-like" bed. He has seemed relatively comfortable in it.
Different angle of the bed.
This was Carson after he got his nose sucked for about the 5th time. He hates it but can breathe so much better for a couple of hours after. I wish we had one of those machines at home! Those stupid nasal bulbs don't do anything! A nurse told me that she thinks they sell a little battery powered suctioner at Walgreens. I will definitely be checking that out ASAP.
This is the entire room which is much better than what we got when we came three years ago with LG. She was in the PICU and shared a giant room with about 10 other babies. We were not allowed to stay with her and that was agonizing, especially since she was our first child and we had never experienced anything like that before. Andy slept on that pull-out chair to the left and I slept on the couch in Carson's room.
The dr's and nurses have been wonderful!! They have loved on Carson and spent so much time with us, explaining things and just talking to us.
We should be discharged in a couple of hours. All in all, I'm glad we came here so Carson could get some much needed snot removal and so we could rule out any critical issues, but I think we'll all be happy to sleep in our own beds tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! You poor things, especially Carson, bless his sweet heart. I will be praying he gets better and stays better! Hugs!