Thursday, October 24, 2013

Awareness

There are so many things that I walk through life completely unaware of. Sometimes it's almost comical~like the fact that a piece of furniture in your bedroom is a "chest of drawers" because that's exactly what it is...I always thought it was "chester" drawers.
Sometimes, though, there are things out there that have affected someone's life so much that they feel compelled to share their story with others so that awareness can become somewhat of a lifesaver. A woman whom I have never met contacted me after stumbling across my blog and asked that I share her story of overcoming the odds and surviving Mesothelioma, a rare and deadly form of cancer. Heather's email to me is below with a video link of her story and the dangers of exposure to asbestos.
I am a wife, mother, and a mesothelioma survivor. At age 36, just after giving birth, I was diagnosed and given 15 months to live.  I knew that I needed to beat the odds for my newborn daughter, Lily.  It’s been almost 8 years now and I’ve dedicated my life to spreading awareness of this awful disease.
Asbestos is not banned in the US, yet it’s the only known cause of mesothelioma. Once diagnosed, most patients die within 2 years. I am one of few survivors who openly share their story and work to spread awareness of these dangers.
Information regarding my treatment: http://www.mesothelioma.com/treatment/
I am so honored to share this story and I hope you will take a few moments to look at these links.

No comments:

Post a Comment